Bourbon Co. School Upgrades

This is an image of our gym where this portion of class takes place. Taken before the new transformation was made.

Hannah Turley, Editor

This year BCHS is being treated to several upgrades, one of which is a new gym. Our previous gym was really outdated; it had a rubber floor and it was difficult to play on. The decision to update the gym is part of a district decision to  to give Bourbon County sports such as  basketball and volleyball in addition to PE classes better facilities.   A few years ago, the football field the football field was upgraded and the track was redone last year.

So, where does the money for these necessary updates come from?  The district has reserve funds that come from different tax increases and the board makes the final decision regarding the  facilities that need upgrading. “That is all a board and central office decision” said Principal Katz. “They figure out what our priorities are. We are doing our gym and front entrance. The middle school got a new roof, their auditorium is changing into a multi-purpose area and the back lot is getting asphalt laid down.”

While students are excited to have an updated gym, the process hasn’t been perfect.  Volleyball games have been moved to the middle school gym, PE and Health classes dislocated, and at various times the sound of construction and score board testing could be heard throughout the halls.  There have also been many setbacks. For example, the bleachers were on back order, the back lot had concreted structures that they had to fill in and fix before they could cover/put the top layer down, and in the gym the H-VAC system started leaking so they had to cease renovation.

One concern expressed is that with the heavy usage of the gym, the floor might be less durable.  The district has addressed this issue by purchasing a covering to put over the floor and protect it. For events such as prom, banquets and dances; the rubber mat will be put down. Everyone wants this floor to last as it is the heart of many community activities that extend well beyond school assemblies, 21st Century and gym classes.  On any given day the gymnasium is home to graduations, concerts, assemblies, banquets, and community events.  Renovation during the school year has proven to be challenging with the enormous demand of the scheduled events.  Many also wonder what the end result will be.

Ms. Katz shared some inside information when asked about the design.  The gym is getting a new center logo designed by BCHS soccer coach Mr. Schmuck,  a new color scheme, new borders on the floor, new nets and backboards, and a brand new goal system. All basketball goals will now retract while previously the end ones were the only ones that had this capability. The old bleachers will be replaced by black bleachers of higher quality.  While the upper bleachers will not be replaced, upgrades to them are being planned as well.  The walls will be two-toned and the court will sport a new light hazelnut stain.  The gym will now be more accessible for those with handicaps with a new area for wheelchairs.

As basketball season approaches and the typical usage of the gym increases, students and teachers alike eagerly await it’s reveal.  It isn’t uncommon to find students trying to peer into the small holes in the paper covering the doors and teachers attempting to sneak a peak at every opportunity.  The final product will be opened in late October and once again, the Bourbon County High School gymnasium will take on its role as the heart of Bourbon County.