Marching Colonels Make History 3-Peat!!!

Michael Stone, Contributor

On Saturday October 27th, the Bourbon County Marching Colonels won the school’s 7th KMEA Class AAA State title. This is a historic win for the band. Not only is this the first time that Bourbon has ever won 3 State Champions consecutively, but it was also the largest point margin between first and second in the band’s legacy.

The band competed in Semifinals earlier that day at Boyle County High School in Danville. After the conclusion of that portion, four finalists were chosen. Taylor County, Harrison County, Bourbon County, and Russell County moved on to finals that night. After a second place finish that afternoon, Bourbon students knew that they had to take it up a notch. That they did.

The band’s directors, Michael Stone and Cory Barnes, were so proud of their students after Saturday night’s performance, which was interrupted by two safety alerts from the PA system at Kroger Field. “They powered right through without skipping a beat,” said Stone. “I could feel their grit coming through their music over the sound of the alarm. They were NOT giving up that easily.”

This year’s program is entitled “Paradise Lost.” The production tells the story of a young captain set out to sea in search of more from life. This year is the biggest band in recent years with 120 

students on the field, 42 of which are first-year marchers. Even with such a drastic number of new marchers and families, the Bourbon County Band holds to its tradition of success.

This is a huge accomplishment for our students. “There are so many bands who don’t get to experience even making finals, and here we are competing to win.” said Barnes. “We’re taking (basically) a middle school band to the highest level of the activity,” said Debbie Hale who also works with the band. This is also a milestone for Stone. In the history of the State Marching Band Championships, he is the only director to win in their first year as a head director. When asked how he felt, Stone quoted Barnes’ statement. “It’s surreal. I feel so lucky to be a part of history. Our band will always be that band that made it happen.”

Up next, the Marching Colonels will head to Indianapolis, IN to compete in the Bands of America Grand National Champions on November 8th. The band hopes to bring home the school’s fourth Class A National Championship. “Like the kids have said,” remarked Stone, “now that we’ve won the bread, we have to put some butter on it!”