Winter Wonderland

submitted
Back to Article
Back to Article

Winter Wonderland

submitted

submitted

submitted

submitted

Jessica Cobb, Features Editor

Every year, until the beginning of January, the lawn at Triangle Park is transformed into a winter ice village with the Unified Trust Company Ice Rink. Former student Jasen Douglas describes, “Working Downtown is one of my favorite things to do. I love being there when it’s snowing and it’s something I look forward to a lot.”

Locals and guests from all around can go on the ice in the light of Lexington’s very own Christmas tree; giving you the ultimate experience for those of all ages. Junior, Maggie Belcher reports, “It’s really crowded and a little bit harder to skate on since it’s outside, but it’s pretty and a really cute place to go on a date or take pictures for Christmas.”

On July 2, 1982, Triangle Park opened to the public and has a very historical background. It was once part of the Bluegrass landscape that caught the attention of Daniel Boone and other pioneers. It offered many businesses including a prominent hemp manufacturer going back to 1806, a coach maker, a glassware operator, a confectionery, a grocery, and many other things were all around the block.

When the Ice Rink opened, it welcomed 22,000 skaters and added an additional 65,000 visitors to both Triangle Park and Downtown Lexington. It runs in the hands of Lexington Ice Center and is now open for the winter up until January.

Sophomore, Hannah Hamelback, conveys “It’s a great family friendly place, and all around a really fun experience.”

Scheduled hours of operation vary according to the Fayette County school system. When school is not in session, the ice rink will be open from 10 a.m. – 10 p.m. A payment of $14 will allow guests to enjoy 60 minutes on the ice, including the admission and skate rental fee.

Looking for something to warm you up after all of that skating in the cold? A warm mug of hot chocolate completes the ice skating experience in Triangle Park.

Hours of operation:

•  Monday-Thursday, 4 p.m. – 10 p.m.
  • Fridays, 4 p.m.- 11 p.m.
  • Saturdays, 10 a.m. – 11 p.m.
  • Sundays, 1:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.
About the Writer
Jessica Cobb, Features Editor

My name is Jessica Cobb and I am in the 11th grade at Bourbon County High School this year! I love going hiking and being adventurous which is why I'm...

• Winter Wonderland

Features

Hardee’s parking lot fire

• Winter Wonderland

Features

Pet-Smart’s Free Adoption Weekend

• Winter Wonderland

Features

FILA’S Back In Style

• Winter Wonderland

Features

Jussie Smollett’s Trial

• Winter Wonderland

Creative Writing

Why Socialization is Important for Mental Illness

• Winter Wonderland

Features

Comparing The Ketogenic and Atkins Diets

• Winter Wonderland

Creative Writing

Taking the Titles

• Winter Wonderland

Features

The Year of Satisfying

• Winter Wonderland

Features

Captain Marvel Movie Review

• Winter Wonderland

Features

The Truth About Geriatric Patients

The Student News Site of Bourbon County High School
Winter Wonderland