The Government Shutdown

submitted

submitted

Makailyn Craft, Reporter

After having a partial government shutdown for a month and three days, government officials are preparing yet again for the government to close on February 15th. On January 25th, Trump was forced to reopen the government, not only because 800,000 members of the federal government had been without pay for an unnecessary amount of time, but also because the government would’ve run out of money by the first of February. This would’ve affected many things in America, including leaving the schools without food by March. By this, I mean the funding that gave schools the ability to buy food would’ve been kaput. Students would’ve been forced to start bringing lunch money, which is, unfortunately, a luxury that some families cannot afford.

Back to February 15th, ever since his campaigns, Trump has promised his followers that he would build a wall on the United States/Mexico border to control border security and keep immigrants from traveling into America. However, many people in the federal government do not agree with him, mainly because of the cost of building the wall. So, when Trump requested 5.7 billion to build this wall, he was denied. And now, if he doesn’t get approved, he will shut down the government for the second time in three months. Because of this, officials are passing bills so federal employees can draw unemployment, to help pay for necessities such as water, heating, food and many other things.