The Pay Gap is Back

This picture represents how men get paid more than women in the workplace.

Makailyn Craft, Reporter

Attention all females, especially those looking for jobs in business, I have a frustrating and depressing announcement. Unfortunately, I’m sure we’ve all been informed of the fact that women get paid less than men by at least 25 cents, but then we were reassured that both genders would be equally paid by the time we were in the work field. News flash, it’s time to get angry again, because according to the BBCs research, its increased. Women have been fighting against the wage gap since 1963, where women were just making 59 cents to a man’s dollar, and it’s only increased half a cent each year on average.

Now, it’s time to get even more technical. The official definition of the Gender Pay Gap is the average difference of remuneration (money paid for work or service) between males and females, and women have always been making less than men. However, it’s easy for many people to confuse the Gender Pay Gap with Unequal Pay. The Gender Pay Gap is not the same as unequal pay, which would be women making less than men for the same job. Luckily, that was taken care of in 1963 with the Equal Pay Act that President John F. Kennedy signed on June tenth.

So, as you can see, the problem isn’t women getting paid less for the same jobs, it’s women not being offered the same jobs as men. The research only focused on small and private companies, and it showed men were receiving promotions and senior positions. Senior positions are high power management jobs. This proves that men are being made the authority of certain sections in companies, rather than women. Despite how long a woman’s been there, how hard that woman’s worked, etc. In summary, companies are hiring more women which is great, but they’re stuck in lower paying desk jobs.

About the Writer
Makailyn Craft, Reporter

My name is Makailyn Craft and this is my first year with Le Petit Colonel. I will be covering world news and other current events this year.  I enjoy...

• The Pay Gap is Back

Features

Article 13

• The Pay Gap is Back

Features

Teen Pregnancy on the Rise in High Schools

• The Pay Gap is Back

Features

Food Banks

• The Pay Gap is Back

News

2018 Political Review

• The Pay Gap is Back

News

Trumps Proposal Against the Transgender Community

• The Pay Gap is Back

Features

Preparing for Your Future Now

• The Pay Gap is Back

News

The New NAFTA

• The Pay Gap is Back

News

Hurricane Michael

• The Pay Gap is Back

News

How Drones Are a Big Problem for the US

• The Pay Gap is Back

News

The Word Nuclear Doesn’t Have to be Bad

The Student News Site of Bourbon County High School
The Pay Gap is Back