Productivity? What’s so important about that?

Elizabeth Boggs, Staff Writer

What is productivity? Productivity is what you need to know to accomplish anything. It results in better performance and constant improvement. Wikipedia defines productivity as “various measures of the efficiency of production; often, a productivity measure is expressed as the ratio of aggregate output to a single input or an aggregate input used in a production process, or output per unit of input, typically over a specific period of time”.

In every class or employment setting, productivity is an important goal.  It makes sense then that ‘productivity’ is more than just a buzz word in high school.   I asked students, teachers, and coaches a series of questions related to productivity.  They were asked the following questions:

1.  Since you’re in school, do you think that you’ve accomplished a lot so far?

2. Is there any specific time of the day that you’re most productive?

3.  What are or what were your long term goals?

4.  Do you ask questions when you need help?

5.  How can you increase your productivity?

Campbell, the basketball coach, stated that ” he tried his hardest in school and accomplished what he wanted to be when he got out.”  He emphasized that you should always  ” try harder than the person next to you”.

Ms. Garrison is the gym teacher here at Bourbon. she stated that she ” tried and tried even when she succeeded to put in the extra mile of the work needed.   Her most productive time of the day is in the morning. She said that a way to increase your productivity is to ” always have an active body and create a goal and lists if needed.”

Joe Lester, a senior at BCHS stated that ” he tries his hardest and his favorite part of the day is 4th period when he gets to play sports.”  His goal is to graduate and succeed in his dream of playing sports while “trying more and paying attention”.