Is Space Exploration Important?

Recent+space+photo+from+BBC+News.+

Recent space photo from BBC News.

Riley Stinson, Staff Writer

It’s not every day you get to experience history in the making. Kids dream of going to space and accomplishing even a small percent of what NASA already has. Space exploration has been a controversial topic in the media since the space race started in 1955. However, as space stations like NASA develop and continue making breakthrough discoveries, the amount of attention they receive decreases with time. While many campaigns have been launched in support of space exploration, many people think the cause is not as important as other things such as drama and the latest outfit trend. Change is necessary. Without the public’s support, different discoveries would be devalued more than they already are. 

Although students are often taught about the Earth and the basics of space in school, it is still a much smaller aspect leading into a whole other alternate universe, literally and metaphorically. Some things that could be taught include recent discoveries leading into the future for space to increase transportation and availability for space travel. This would open up space travel to more people, preventing only the wealthy and famous from going to space. Although it is still extremely expensive to go, with over 55 million per ticket, the thought and work behind bringing civilians into space takes a village. Another recent breakthrough in exploration is the plan to study a planet found approximately 90 light years away from Earth. This planet has a potentially rich atmosphere that contains water clouds. The recent findings that could change our future aren’t discussed enough in the news. With increased media coverage relating to space, it would provide extra insight in science and our advances as a society. 

Space exploration is one important topic to discuss within a huge issue. It provides us with extra details that we could end up needing and that could save us in the future. For instance, when the next solar eclipse or lunar eclipse is happening, or when the next giant star is going to explode close to our planet, we’ll be able to prepare. All these things contribute to the motivation behind NASA researchers and other scientists that study space. In essence, space needs greater recognition as a whole. It’s important for our environment to thrive and succeed under the circumstances we often face.