Fatal High School Shooting Kills Multiple People in Oxford, Michigan

Memorial+at+Oxford+High+School+in+Oxford%2C+Michigan.+

Paul Sancya

Memorial at Oxford High School in Oxford, Michigan.

James Mulcahy, Sports Writer

On Tuesday, November 30, the most fatal school shooting occurred since the tragedy in Parkland, Florida. The Parkland shooting occurred on February 14, 2018, and resulted in a death count of seventeen.

Oxford High School in Oakland County, Michigan, was sent into terror on November 30 when Ethan Crumbley, a 15-year-old student, opened fire during the middle of the day. Only a few hours before, Ethan’s parents were called in for a meeting discussing a disturbing drawing that a teacher had found from him, as well as statements that the other students had heard. After his parents left and the meeting was over, Ethan was sent back to class, but he made the choice to walk into the bathroom with his backpack and exit with a gun in his hand. Once he got out, he started firing at everybody he came across and tried to trick his way into classrooms. He kept this terror alive until the police arrived, and then he put his gun on the ground and surrendered.

In total, four people were killed and seven others were injured. His motive for the shooting is still unclear because he was a completely normal kid, but there were suspicions of bullying. His parents, James and Jennifer Crumbley, were arrested. They both pleaded not guilty to the involuntary manslaughter charges. These charges are being faced against them because the gun that Ethan used was not put under proper safety measures. It was left out in the open and not in a locked cabinet.

Ethan Crumbley currently faces twenty-four felony counts, including four counts of first-degree murder and seven counts of assault with intent to murder, in addition to a terrorism charge. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges. He will be tried as an adult and will face life in prison if convicted.