Advice On Making Your Final College Decision

Westlake High School

Seniors wearing their future college gear on National College Decision Day (May 1).

Bailey Darbro, Jr. Editor

Your hard work throughout high school has paid off, and you’ve received several acceptance letters. Now it’s time to make that huge decision that will influence the next four years—what college will you choose to attend? 

May 1 is the national deadline for college decisions, and hopefully, by then, you’ll have picked a school that is the best fit for you on many levels. If you’re deliberating over which school to attend, consider the following tips to help select a college that is right for you.  

1. Visit or revisit your top schools.

Visiting a college when you’ve been accepted can be a very different experience than visiting before you’ve applied. Many colleges have special college days for accepted students. This is a great opportunity to go and get a closer, first-hand look and solidify your choice of college. Pay attention to how you feel as you walk around the campus. Ask students and professors specific questions and get all your doubts clarified. 

2. Weigh financial offers.

Compare the financial aid packages you receive from each of your top choices. Make sure to consider how much is “free” money, work-study, federal student loans, and parent loans. Remember to have a four-year focus and project forward for the next four years to estimate what the final loans may be upon graduation. Use loan repayment calculators to get an idea of how much the loan payments will be after graduation. Factoring in financial aid offers and other financing options is essential to avoid excessive debt. 

3. Focus on fit.

Find a school that will embrace your values and who you are. Assess what each of your top choices has to offer as a whole and which option would position you best to thrive both in college and beyond. Ask: Where can I see myself learning, growing, and thriving the most? It will be your home for the next four years, so choose the school that’s best for you.

4. Don’t base your decisions on somebody else’s opinion.

When it comes time for you to pick a school, many people will feel inclined to weigh in. However, you shouldn’t feel pressured to make a choice based on someone else’s opinion. The final decision should be yours, and yours alone. In order to make the best choice for you, you should accept helpful advice and filter out opinions that are extremely subjective or rooted in a narrow set of experiences. Take advice from family and friends, but don’t let anyone talk you into making a decision that is not truly yours. 

5. Trust your instincts. 

After you’ve compared your options, there may be a school you’re gravitating towards just because it feels right. Though you shouldn’t make impulsive decisions, your intuition will guide you towards the right choice. Don’t second guess your instincts after you’ve done all your research. Be confident in your decision and move forward.