Henry Clay School Incident

Lex 18

A photo of an emergency vehicle parked on the street.

Kayla Brainard, Staff Writer

On October 27, 2022, a loaded gun was discovered at Henry Clay High School. School officials say they received information about the weapon during first period. The police then started to investigate the situation. The officers found the firearm on a 15-year-old boy. Officers say that the boy had no intentions of using the weapon, and they had no credible evidence of any threats against teachers or students. The student was charged with possession of a weapon on school property. Officers still don’t know how the weapon got into the building since students have to walk through metal detectors to get into the building. All students must enter through the gym to get inside the building, while other students that are late have to enter through the office. Upon officers investigating the incident, they found out that the student had followed another class into the building that had been returning from doing an outdoor activity. The students were on lock down for hours before officers located and disarmed the suspect. Some students think that security is the problem. One student stated, “When they go through the metal detectors, they just unzip their bags, look once and say, ‘you’re good to go.’ She says they don’t even check our bags”. The incident is raising questions about whether the security is good enough. After the incident, Fayette County superintendent, Demetrius Liggins, stated that “school policies are under review”.  Officers did not evacuate the building after the incident was under control; classes went on as regular, though most of the students left after the situation occurred. Many parents and guardians choose not to send their children to school on Friday until they release more information about the incident. One parent stated that “They mentioned that they didn’t know how the loaded weapon got on the kid who got into the school. I was not sending my kid to school without any information”. The students who did not attend school Friday said they got an automated call from the school saying it was unexcused. Many parents are concerned for their students and their safety.