A Home Away From Home

Jessica Cobb, Features Editor

BCHS has been invaded.  Students from all around the world have chosen to spend a year learning alongside American students. One student, Martina Salomone, is from Rome, Italy while another student, Alessandra Porto, is from Faicchio, Italy.

Spending a whole year away from family can be difficult, but both students have adjusted.  Salomone said, “Being here is the best time I’ve ever had! I love it here and I don’t wanna go back to Rome. I definitely love the kindness that you guys have here, I feel like I’m at home.”

So what is it like to have an exchange student in class? Senior, Zach Withrow said, “ It is very fun and interesting. I’ve made friends with the foreign exchange students every year since I started high school. It’s always heartbreaking to see them go back to their home country because I become so close to them.”

Some students say that it can be difficult to start a conversation with a student from another country because they don’t want to embarrass themselves. Salomone wants to ease students’ anxiety.  She feels that the people in this high school are very nice. She said, “Getting to know people here just really depends. Some people are really difficult to get to know, maybe because they are reserved or stuff like that, but I’ll say that 90% are the best type of people. They are super funny and kind with me, especially because I’m foreign.” However, Porto seems to have a different take on it. She said, “ It’s been kind of difficult for me to make friends in the time that I’ve been here because I am shy. Some people really want to become friends with you and others don’t even really look at you. I’m really hoping that it will get better though.”

As these exchange students arrive every year it is difficult for them to get used to being without their everyday families. Martina and Alessandra both said that the number one thing they miss would of course be their families. Martina said, “ I really miss my grandma and all of her delicious food.” Porto said, “ I miss my friends, my dogs, the food, and mostly my dance school.”

Many students I’ve talked to have been curious about what it would be like to travel to their home countries, so I asked, “If I came to your hometown to visit, where would you take me first?” Salomone said, “I would probably take you to the MAXXI (modern art of 21st century)”

Traveling here from such unique places gives everyone  many experiences, but it also comes with heartache by making the most memorable friendships and letting them go in such a short time frame.