The Importance of Social-Emotional Learning in Schools

Social-Emotional Learning has many qualities that make it important to learn and know.

BrainPop

Cora Walters, Staff Writer

Social-Emotional learning (SEL) is the process of developing self-awareness, self-control, and interpersonal skills that are vital for school, work, and life success. That is why it is very important for students to be learning about the subject early in life to benefit their future. The 5 different components that make up SEL, self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision-making. With teaching these skills to students, they will be able to apply them to real life situations and make it far in the future.

Students getting the chance to practice social-emotional skills while still in middle and high school is beneficial for their future education and careers. Moreover, it will help them be prepared to get ready for college, as well as prepare them for social jobs. Learning self-management skills while growing up is essential for future success. You will be able to learn how you need to dedicate your time to more important things before you indulge in fun activities. For example, student athletes have excellent self-management skills. They are able to juggle their schoolwork while also giving their all at practice. Being able to manage your time wisely is beneficial if you are wanting to further your education or head straight into the workforce. That is why it is beneficial for students to learn these skills while still developing their education. 

The other components, social awareness and relationship skills, will help benefit students with securing a good future. It is a good thing for students to be able to build relationships. Whether it is with a teacher, school counselor, or maybe even a future employer. When someone can sustain a relationship, they often feel more comfortable with asking for help and communicating in general. Therefore in the long run, they will be able to manage well in situations where they are expected to ask questions as well as public speaking. To illustrate, going to a job interview can be nerve racking to someone who gets scared or nervous with unknown people and places, but having social awareness and relationship skills can benefit them in many ways. 

Social-Emotional learning is something that is truly important yet overlooked. Some don’t believe it is a necessary thing, but later will hopefully realize the impact it holds and approve it’s addition to general education. SEL is able to teach students how to achieve goals without risk the modern world can hold, all while constructing them a strong, well-balanced trajectory.