Possible Graduate Campus For The University of Florida On Pause

The University of Florida is expanding their campus.

Brooklynn Sheffield, Staff Writer

The president of the University of Florida and the city were working on a project for the school and students. The president was in West Palm Florida to discuss the project,which is with a satellite campus in the city. The first proposal was announced by the city and country officials in August of last year.  The president of the University of Florida, Kent Fuchs, and the mayor of  West Palm Beach, Keith James, gave an update on the project during an event at the Hilton in  West Palm Beach. The graduate campus is predicted to offer advanced professional degrees, in science, engineering, and business.  “Jacksonville had welcomed the opportunity now to strengthen the existing job force”, Curry Said, “It’s a “generational game changer.” However, things have changed. It doesn’t appear that the University will be opening the satellite campus in downtown West Palm Beach anytime soon. Due to naming rights. The University of Florida had announced that the school is “pausing deliberation” on a proposed graduate campus in the city.

The university had stated that there are “some regrettable divisions in the local community” that have prompted this decision. A WPTV report had said that there were issues between the school and local developer Jeff Greene stemming from five acres he was set to donate for the project. Greene had stated that the land was part of a 12-acre plan for the University of Florida’s Schools of Novation of Technology. The rest of the land was supposed to come from the city and county. Palm Beach County Mayor Gregg Weiss and James made a “cautiously optimistic” statement that the school will select West Palm Beach for a future campus. The university said it will look at other options in South Florida after the disagreement over naming rights for the proposed 12-acre graduate school. “The university has an obligation to the public to take a fresh look at any possible South Florida graduate campus,” the school’s statement said.