Benefits of Student Led Organizations and Clubs

School clubs and organizations are very beneficial for students futures and what career they may want to pursue.

School Of The Arts

Gabriela Gomez, Jr. Editor

In High School, there are many student-led organizations and clubs for students to be a part of throughout their four years. Clubs have been shown to improve academic, health, and career outcomes. Some of these clubs/organizations benefit students after they have graduated from high school by giving them career opportunities and giving them the advantage of receiving scholarships for college. 

Joining groups or participating in extracurricular activities will increase your appeal to colleges and institutions. Colleges want applicants who, in addition to being outstanding scholars, are passionate about clubs and other extracurricular activities. Colleges want to hear what interests you and what you intend to bring to campus to help the college community. Students who participate in high school extracurricular activities do better academically, with higher grades, higher achievement test scores, and higher educational goals beyond high school. This may help you decide what you want to pursue as a career in the future. 

Being involved in clubs may also benefit in improving your skills. For example, if you are in a journalism club involved with the newspaper, this may improve your writing skills. These skills will be in good use once you leave for college or even when you pursue a career. You may also gain teamwork and leadership experience when participating in clubs, which may be very beneficial throughout your educational and career journey. Gaining these skills will teach you how to not only work in teams but to work independently within yourself in order to plan your future day by day and also help you create a more student-led environment within the organizations. 

Clubs in high school are definitely worth the time and effort especially since they do improve your academic skills significantly. There are several reasons to join a club or two, whether you are a rising high school freshman or a junior entering senior year. The advantages significantly go above the disadvantages. If you do try a club and don’t enjoy it, there’s nothing wrong with trying something else.