Florida Principle Forced To Resign After Showing 6th Graders Sculpture By Michelangelo

The sculpture of David by Michelangelo

ItalianRenaissance.org

The sculpture of David by Michelangelo

Carley Stone, Staff Writer

Hope Carrasquilla, the principal.

In Tallahassee, Florida, a principal at a Christian charter school is forced to resign after showing sixth graders the famous biblical figure David by Michelangelo. After complaints came in from parents, the campus governing board told her she would have to resign or be fired. According to The Guardian, the parents complained that their children had been exposed to pornography. If you haven’t seen the sculpture before, the biblical hero David is nude, but it is not like this is some random sculpture, this sculpture is one of the most famous ones out there. It was created only of marble between the years 1501 and 1504 during the Renaissance era by the one and only Michelangelo who was only about 26 years old. 

According to the principal who resigned, Hope Carrasquilla, “as a result of a series of miscommunications”. A letter was supposed to be sent out telling parents what their children are learning about. This time the letter was not sent out before the showing of David. Also, according to The Guardian, “in an interview with Slate, Tallahassee Classical school board chairperson Barney Bishop III said that the issue was not that Renaissance art was shown to students but rather that parents were not notified beforehand.” He also added, “This year, we made an egregious mistake. We didn’t send that notice. Look, we’re not a public school. We’re a public charter. Parents, after they saw all the crap that’s being taught in public schools during [the Covid-19 pandemic] decided on their own that they didn’t want their children to be taught that.” The Guardian also made a point and said that Ron DeSantis, Florida’s governor, wants to “expand a law prohibiting public schools from teaching sex education and gender identity.” What do you think? Was it the right thing to do to force her to resign for showing a famous art piece to eleven and twelve-year-olds?