LIZZO is Coming to the Rupp Arena April 22

Cindy Ord

This is a photo of American rapper, Lizzo. She will be coming to Lexington on April 22nd.

Leann Zacarias, Staff Writer

Melissa Viviane Jefferson, also known as Lizzo, was born April 27, 1988, in Detroit, Michigan. Lizzo is an American rapper and sends positive messages to her audience. Her music is a blend of R&B, rap, and pop. At age ten, she moved from Detroit to Houston where she started liking music. Encouraged by her father, she began playing the flute in the sixth grade. At age fourteen, Jefferson formed the female rap group Cornrow Clique. According to Brittanica, it was during this time that she earned the nickname “Lizzo,” an amalgam of her byname, Lissa, and the 2001 song “Izzo (H.O.V. A.)” by JAY-Z. After she graduated from high school, she started attending the University of Houston. Unfortunately, she left school because she was under pressure to choose either rap or classical music as her major. In addition, she was under pressure because her father’s health was declining, and later he died in 2009. After her father passed away, she started dealing with depression due to her poor body image. However, now, Lizzo is very body positive, quoted with saying in September 2019, “It definitely comes with time. I wasn’t really given the opportunities or the privileges to feel like a sex symbol when I was growing up. I was a fat black girl in Houston and I didn’t see myself in magazines.” Lizzo is coming to the Rupp Arena in Lexington, Kentucky on April 22nd, 2023. This is her first time performing here. This is part of her North American tour The Special 2our. She will be performing with Latto as her opener, who is also a female rapper. Tickets are ranging between $63-$801 depending upon how many people attend and where the seats are located. It is bound to be an exciting concert and one of the few newer rappers who have come to Lexington within the past few years, which hopefully causes other new rappers to perform more shows in Lexington. To be determined!