Suicide Prevention Week

Back to Article
Back to Article

Suicide Prevention Week

Abigail Estrada, News Reporter

Suicide is frequently the subject of conversation today with the ever increasing amount of worries people face. We never really know what will come across a persons mind; it could be good or could be horrible. Suicide and suicidal thoughts are a very serious topic that we seem has become normalized in the everyday conversation of teenagers. Sometimes these threats can be warning signs and sometimes it is a reaction to an event but either way, suicidal talk is something that everyone should take seriously.  Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States. According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention there 44,965 Americans complete suicide each year.   In the state of Kentucky the suicide rate has increased at a rapid pace over the past few years.  In fact,  it has risen 31 percent to 37 according to the  Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

There is hope.  These rates are changing as people who contemplate suicidal acts receive the help they need.  During the week of Sep 9 – Sep 15  different foundations hosted events to talk about the issues related to suicide and offered help to those who need it. Awareness weeks is not the only way attention has been drawn to suicide prevention.   Many celebrities have discussed these issues and even talked about their own experiences with this tough topic.  Riverdale star,Lili Reinhart, recently talked about how her anxiety gets really bad and how it has affected her career.  She has stated that she is now focusing more on her mental health.  If you’d like to read more form celebrities who have experienced these thoughts, Harper’s Bazaar has included a list  of celebrities who are talking about mental health and their own experiences.

We all play a role in suicide prevention.  You can find additional information about suicide prevention at https://afsp.org/campaigns/national-suicide-prevention-week-2018/.  https://afsp.org/campaigns/national-suicide-prevention-week-2018/

As always, if you or someone you know is dealing with these issues don’t hesitate to call the suicide prevention lifeline which is 1-800-273-8255  because people do need you, they love you and will forever be there for you.

• Suicide Prevention Week

News

The Pay Gap is Back

• Suicide Prevention Week

Features

Article 13

• Suicide Prevention Week

Features

Teen Pregnancy on the Rise in High Schools

• Suicide Prevention Week

Features

Food Banks

• Suicide Prevention Week

News

2018 Political Review

• Suicide Prevention Week

News

Trumps Proposal Against the Transgender Community

• Suicide Prevention Week

Features

Preparing for Your Future Now

• Suicide Prevention Week

News

The New NAFTA

• Suicide Prevention Week

News

Hurricane Michael

• Suicide Prevention Week

News

How Drones Are a Big Problem for the US

The Student News Site of Bourbon County High School
Suicide Prevention Week