Journalism: A Year Under Review

Students+are+offered+a+chance+to+publish+articles+online+during+this+class.+

Cora Walters

Students are offered a chance to publish articles online during this class.

Cora Walters, Staff Writer

Journalism is the activity or profession of writing for newspapers, magazines, or news websites or preparing news to be broadcast. Many people enjoy journalism as a hobby, but others want to make a career out of it. If you are looking for a place to start, Journalism l is a great place to start.

This class is set up in a way where there are four columns on the Le Petit Colonel website. There are the News, Criticism, Pop Culture, and Sports categories that all students get to pick from. I chose the criticism team as that was what I was interested in writing about. I was able to address topics that are very dear to me and make a difference in the world. Each team has an editor and a junior editor that can help you come up with ideas as well as help edit any grammatical errors or help evolve your article. 

Unfortunately, I feel that the class has a couple of areas where it needs to be improved. The class has a laid back type of atmosphere, but has hard deadlines. Following that, many students didn’t meet deadlines or simply didn’t care enough to try hard. The class environment is really great though.  Some of the most memorable conversations have happened in this period of the day. We have little class parties for every holiday, and the bell ringers are always a hot debate. 

This class has a lot to offer. Students are able to write articles that can be published into the local newspaper, which is very incredible. You are able to learn a lot about grammar and other things in this class. There were a few things that I was hoping would happen, but never truly did. Signing up for the class, I hoped it would be full of people that wanted to write to make a difference, but that wasn’t the case.  Although I didn’t get what I wanted out of this class, I hope that the upcoming students will and will find joy in the class.