FFA Paperwork Day and NMES Environmental Camp

Breanna Hardin, Staff Writer

On March 9, 2023, some of Bourbon County’s FFA members competed in the Bluegrass Region FFA paperwork day. The Bluegrass Region FFA Day is where FFA members go to Nicholasville, Kentucky, and compare their student project or Supervised Ag Experience (SAE) with other students across the region. We would like to congratulate the following students for the hard work and long hours that they put into this contest: Makayla Minor, Taylor Koch, Maggie Sparks, Dillon Tucker, Grace Ewalt, and Dixie Brainard. Overall, the students did amazing. Makayla Minor won her Integrated Systems Proficiency for her research on honey bees and essential oils; Taylor Koch won her Equine Placement Proficiency for her SAE working on her family’s thoroughbred farm, Shawhan Place; Maggie Sparks won her Beef Placement Proficiency for her SAE working on her family’s beef cattle farm, Integrity Land and Cattle and placed 2nd for her Beef Entrepreneurship Proficiency for her feeder steer operation; Dillon Tucker won his Forage Proficiency for his own hay production SAE and for working with two other farms with their hay production; Grace Ewalt won her Diversified Livestock Proficiency for her SAE working with horses, cattle and other large species at numerous SAEs; and Dixie Brainard placed 2nd for her Ag Mechanics Fabrication and Repair Proficiency for her SAE working at Double O Trailer Service. The members who won will compete in their state contest this June. The FFA members who went had so much fun and were able to leave school for a day to go compete and meet new people. We would also like to congratulate Reagan Kovach for representing Bourbon County FFA in her win of being elected the new FFA president. 

This is a picture of all the kids who went and stayed the night at camp.

North Middletown Elementary School’s fourth and fifth graders participated in a two-day overnight camp at the Northern Central 4-h camp. North Middletown Elementary School’s fourth and fifth graders participated in a two-day overnight camp at the Northern Central 4-h camp. They had activities and events they go to participate in like bird blind viewing, lake study, land study, animal tracks, low ropes, nature hikes, and Smores. They stayed in little cabins and had so much fun. They got to explore and have a good time with friends.