Is this Generation Really Lazy?

Koby Turner, Editor

The year is 2019, the year of Generation Z (people born of the late 90s to mid-2000s)- the so-called “laziest generation”. Previous generations gave this title to our generation because we have an “addiction” to our phones and only care about our electronics. However, I believe that because the people of Z utilize their phones makes them a more educated and sociable member of society. By having constant access to billions of different sources about everything anyone could fathom, this allows for information to spread and permits kids to be more educated about important topics such as politics, history, science, and anything they could possibly need to succeed. Electronics are the building blocks of our society today and by this generation knowing all sorts of electronics like the back of their hand is extremely helpful and encourages them to have success in life.

Previous generations call these kids “lazy” because they lack the information about how technology has evolved society and caused it to better everyone’s lives. Things are not how they used to be; people have to use technology in school and work in order for things to be efficient and to allow for the benefit of their education. Not to mention the fact that people of Z need to educate themselves on events happening in the government. By doing so it enables people to arrange marches and movements, like the March for Our Lives. This movement brought together thousands of students to protest school violence. Still, our elders that we are supposed to respect, call us “lazy”. Yes, our phones are also used for recreational purposes, but so is a TV and books that older generations utilize quite often. Every person has their own addictions.

Many argue that kids utilizing their phones more and more makes them extremely antisocial. I believe this is false. When kids are on their phones, they have access to talk to their friends from anywhere. This includes texting, calling, and even Facetime (which allows them to see the person they are talking to). This encourages socialization and permits kids to make more friends online; possibly from all over the world. To conclude, technology permits children of Generation Z to be successful, sociable, and educated members of society.