Earth Day

Earth Day

Google

Happy Earth Day

Kathleen Gibson, Head Photographer

There is one day in particular that we call Earth day. It’s a day where we try to be more thoughtful of our earth in different ways. Earth day originated April 22, 1970. It was the birth of a modern environmental movement. Senator Nelson created an event on April the twenty second to educate college students on the effect we are causing the environment. It was on this day due to it being between spring break and Final exams for college students. This later on became known as Earth day, for Americans to tell the world what we can do to help the Earth and how we’ve harmed it. In 1990 Earth day became not only an American thing, but a worldwide thing. This day gave a huge boost to recycling efforts worldwide. This day also made president Bill Clinton award Senator Nelson The medal of freedom for being the founder of Earth Day. 

Although it sounds like a big deal, and that you should be changing the world on Earth day you can just do some small things that will change just your community and this still helps. Whether you are willing to help your household, neighborhood, or community to go a little green on Earth Day it can do a lot. There are many things you can do on earth day that are small or big. Here are some ideas that people have done or you can do on earth day. 

• Plant a tree
  • plant flowers for the earth and to make your yard look pretty 
  • Spend time outdoors, just enjoy the earth you live on
  • Don’t get on technology so much, put down the phone and look outside
  • Appreciate what you can see out the window, some people may see the city or some people may see nature. 
  • Go on an adventure outside and just enjoy it. 
  • Recycle

This is a day to celebrate the Earth any way you want.