When it’s over…

My+mom+keeping+busy+and+staying+productive%21+

My mom keeping busy and staying productive!

Hannah Hamelback, Editor

When it’s over, we will start to get our life back to normal. One day, we will be allowed to eat in restaurants again. One day, we will be allowed to have parties and get-togethers. One day, we will be allowed to be within six feet of each other. One day, life will go back to normal. Until then, how do we stay positive? During this unsure and anxious time, it is hard to keep high spirits because nobody knows what the future holds. The best way to stay positive is to believe that all of this is simply a blessing in disguise. While there will be some negative things that come out of all of this, we can’t focus on only those things. There are positives we will see at the end of the tunnel, but we have to believe we can get there, first. People cope in different ways, people stay positive in different ways, and people heal in different ways. Here is how some people within our school are staying positive and keeping high hopes. 

Haley Hart is a junior here at Bourbon County. Hanging out with friends is one of her favorite things to do, so quarantine has not been easy. The bright side: that is one of the first things she will do once our state opens back up. When I asked her where the first place she will be heading once quarantine is lifted, her response was expected: “I’ll be heading to hang out with my friends, maybe go out to eat with them or go shopping.” Quarantine is not easy on anybody, but we must make the most of it. When I asked Haley how she is keeping high spirits during this time and what is motivating her to be strong, she answered, “I am keeping high spirits by staying thankful for the life I have and always looking on the bright side. I am motivated to stay strong for the people that cannot be strong at this time.” 

Kari Johnson is a parent who has been in the Bourbon County family for a long time. She has three kids: one who graduated from BCHS in 2017, one who is currently a junior, and another who is in 8th grade at BCMS. As a mother of three children, she has to look forward to the future not only for herself, but for her family. While looking forward to the future, she says the first restaurant she will eat at when they open back up is Sutton’s restaurant in Lexington, “They have a pasta dish that I love! I was getting it to go, but they shut down completely until this is all over.” Most people nowadays are talking about their least favorite part about quarantine, and overlooking the bright side of it all! Kari has a couple favorite things about quarantine: “Slowing down our ‘fast paced, on the go’ lifestyle, and having more time at home together. We have done more Bible readings together, which I was aggravated at myself for not making the time to do before! Just being together as a family and not going 100 mph is what I’ve enjoyed. Oh, and we’ve gone fishing more!” 

If you go to Bourbon County High School, you know the legendary Ms. Sara Wells. While having to teach her two young daughters, and still having to teach her own high school students, you could imagine how much she is juggling right now. I asked Ms. Wells where the first place she will go once our state opens back up and why there, and her response can’t help but make you smile: “My girls and I are really looking forward to getting back to our tradition of eating lunch at Lil’s on Saturday. We love to hike together and we’ll be going to visit state parks to hike for sure.Additionally, I asked her to talk a little about the positive things that have come out of quarantine for her and her family. “We have enjoyed not having a hectic schedule and have gotten much closer during this quarantine. We’ve played games and art projects we never would have otherwise. It’s a great time to make memories together.” 

Although it is not easy, staying positive is so important during this time of uncertainty. Sometimes, you might need to remind a neighbor or a friend that we will get through this and everything will be okay. My family and I have stayed positive during this time by watching movies, playing countless rounds of monopoly and euchre, oh, and fostering puppies! We have been fostering two mutt puppies for about 4 weeks now and next week, they will be given to their forever home! It has been super helpful in making the time pass by. My advice to you is this: always remember that all of this is a blessing in disguise, and there is a purpose for all things. We will get through this together.