Schools Should Provide More Nutritious Lunches For Students

Nutritious food

Nutritious food

Bethany Simpson

Every day in health class, kids are taught about the importance of nutrition and a well-balanced diet. So, don’t you think it is a bit odd that the food served throughout the school system does not reflect on what they are being taught in these classes? According to a study done by the CDC, 60 percent of children did not eat enough fruit to meet daily recommendations and 93 percent of children didn’t eat the recommended amount of vegetables.  Recommendations for the amount of fruit and vegetable children should eat are based on a child’s age, gender, and level of physical activity. Yes, I’m aware that many students financially may not be able to afford the correct amount of fresh produce and fruits and vegetables, but what is one way that we can solve this? Schools should provide fruits and vegetables and good quality healthy foods for students to eat for lunches and if provided, breakfast. According to another study done by the CDC, “About 13.7 million children and adolescents had obesity.” If we make these changes happen it will not only give kids the recommended amount of fruits and vegetables and provide them with the energy and nutrients that they need to get to the school day, but it might inspire kids to start participating in a more healthy lifestyle and choosing the right foods to better their lives. I talked to a few students who attend the CHS high school who regularly obtain school lunch about their thoughts on the topic. One stated, “I think it would be a great idea and I think it would really help kids who may not be able to afford nutritious food that is good for them.” Another student who attends BCHS stated, “I would love to see more healthy options added to our menu. I think it would be great, especially for kids at our age needing to eat the correct foods.”