Teacher’s Day

Teacher

Getty Images

A teacher writing on the board in her math class.

Morgan Turpin, Staff Writer

Henry Brooks Adams once said, “Teachers affect eternity; no one can tell where their influence stops.”

Teacher’s Day is September 5th. Bourbon County has some great teachers that I would love to recognize. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to interview all of the amazing teachers here, but I did get to interview five. 

First, I interviewed the great science and English teacher, Mr. McCombs. He has been a teacher for 4 years now. Ms. Pursfill also answered questions. Next, I interviewed the amazing Ms. Herron, who teaches history, integrated social studies, and AP World History. She has been teaching for 2 1/2 years now. After that, I interviewed the talented Mr. Baldwin who teaches English and Humanities. He has been teaching for about a decade now.

Question 1: Why did you become a teacher?

McCombs: To help impact students.

Herron: My 7th-grade social studies teacher inspired me to become a teacher. I also really enjoy teaching history and helping people.

Baldwin: I worked at a summer camp in college and learned that I enjoyed being around young people. 

Question 2: What is your favorite part about teaching?

McCombs: Building relationships with students. 

Pursfill: We get to see you all at your last stop before the real world. 

Herron: I like to give the content my own spin to make it more interesting and fun for my students.

Baldwin: I’m a social person and feel energized being around people. I also like the community that a school creates.

Question 3: What is your favorite memory from teaching?

McCombs: I make memories every single day. Every day is a new favorite memory for me. I couldn’t pick a favorite.

Pursfill: I enjoy when seniors walk in and tell me about their college and career plans. 

Herron: At first I wasn’t sure, but I enjoy when kids I’ve had in previous years come back and say hi because it means a lot. 

Baldwin: A few years into teaching, I had a wonderful class and started to feel that I was getting a handle on the profession. It was a special year.

Mr. McCombs wanted to thank his students and Mrs. Francis for letting us run the paper. Ms. Herron also said, “Teaching is not for the weak.” Mr. Baldwin said he is really excited to be here and he loves this school so far. He thinks it is a special place, and I couldn’t agree more. 

Even though I didn’t get to interview all of the wonderful teachers at BCHS, I still would like to thank everyone that takes the time to teach us kids. We may not say it much, but we do appreciate it. Thank you, and I hope you have a great Teacher’s Day!