The Boy in the Box

Americas+Unknown+Childs+grave+relocated.+Now+located+in+Alexandria%2C+Virginia.+

Jose F. Moreno

“America’s Unknown Child’s” grave relocated. Now located in Alexandria, Virginia.

Jasmine Galicia, Staff Writer

In 1957 in Fox Chase, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, a college student stopped because he saw a bunny running along the highway. Noticing there were traps, the student decided to stop to make sure the bunny was safe. As he walked he noticed a cardboard box with a naked dead body inside and reported it to the police. The police assumed the boy was between three to seven years old, because of his body structure. While they tried to fingerprint the boy, they had concluded that no one could identify him. 

Over the next few years, over 400,000 flyers were sent about the missing boy. No person could identify the missing boy, even though he had surgical scars and an L-shaped scar on his chin. Police soon sent two hundred recruits to find evidence regarding the boy. Some police found evidence such as a scarf, a man’s cap, a handkerchief with the letter “G”. This evidence, however, led police to nowhere. To help people identify the boy more, investigators even went even farther and unearthed the boy. With his dead body, they propped him up on a chair and dressed him up. They then proceeded on taking his picture as if he were alive. This picture was then printed and spread. However, this method did not work as well. 

In February 2002, a woman came forward and told police the child was her brother. She said her mother bought the boy and abused him sexually and physically. She even went further and said his name was Johnathan. She stated the boy had died when her mother beat him over him not eating his beans. When the mother tried taking him a shower, he was pronounced dead. This story was further investigated. However, police shut the theory down after finding out the woman had a mental illness, which made her claims less credible. The Boy in the Box is still one of the world’s unsolved murders, and police soon hope to crack the mystery of what happened to him.