Georgetown College Offers New

Sadie Darbro

On Friday, January 14th, Bourbon County High School (BCHS) juniors and seniors assembled in the Lana Fryman auditorium to hear representatives from Georgetown College make an exciting announcement. As the students filed into their prospective rows, there was a whisper of excitement, guessing about what the surprise assembly was. Upon seeing the decor behind the speakers, students began to get an idea of what it may be.

On stage, President Dr. Rosemary Allen, Provost and Executive President Dr. Sam Wise, Director of Admissions Dr. Ticha Chikuni, and Director of Admissions for Church Recruiting Dr. HK Kingkade, welcomed the students. 

Together they announced that students at Bourbon County High School now qualify for a minimum scholarship of $80,000 over 4 years. To qualify, students must have a minimum of a 3.0-grade point average and a 21 ACT score. Financial aid awards may increase depending on higher ACT scores and/or GPA. This opportunity has major implications for many BCHS students. As a private college, Georgetown is making education more accessible to high-achieving, low-income students. 

Georgetown College, located in Georgetown, KY, is a co-educational institution with roots in the Baptist denomination. Georgetown is known for its small student population with an undergraduate enrollment of 1,110. Both Dr. Wise and Chikuni emphasized the impact that a small community has on the college experience. All Georgetown representatives spoke on the extensive opportunities the college offers, including the Oxford University exchange program and experienced Fulbright scholarship mentors. Many alumni go on to research at top research institutions including Johns Hopkins University and the University of California, Berkeley. 

As many seniors are making their college decisions, and juniors are beginning to plan schools they want to apply to, this opportunity makes Georgetown College a solid option. Bourbon County High school is excited to work with such an extraordinary, local college.  This opportunity is extremely exciting for all colonels pursuing higher education.