How Social Media Impacts the World

Top social media apps of 2021-2022.

Top social media apps of 2021-2022.

Jasmine Galicia, Staff Writer

Social media is very popular worldwide. In 2020, it was reported that over 3.6 billion people used social media apps, which is 82% of the world population. Apps such as TikTok, Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and Snapchat result in many celebrities. Celebrities such as Kris Jenner, Charli D’Amelio, and Mr. Beast rose in popularity because of social media.

Users engage in fun activities where they can chat with other people, discovering mutual interests with one another. However, social media also contributes to negative impacts on an individual. According to helpguide.com, social media can make many users develop thoughts of suicide, depression, loneliness, self-harm, and anxiety.

For example, let’s suppose a user gets on social media and feels insecure when looking at other people’s lives. Many teenage girls have reports of insecurities all over the internet. These issues can lead to one wanting to do the unexpected: suicide. Globally, it was reported that 15-29-year-olds had a death rate of 700,000 people in 2019 due to social media. 

Dating websites and online games on all platforms can be dangerous as well. Video games such as Roblox can lead to a possible kidnapping. A 13-year-old girl was kidnapped after a 33-year-old man lied about his age to meet with her. According to the BBC, it was reported she was home safely, and the man was charged with sex trafficking, kidnapping, and rape. Roblox also had alleged “condo games” in which players could join and have explicit meetings with each other. Roblox has banned these games from ever being posted again.

Social media itself can lead to very dangerous outcomes. To prevent these from occurring, schools often create meetings with students to teach them how to be cautious on social media. If you feel you have been negatively impacted because of social media, don’t hesitate to reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. Companies like these can help you overcome your thoughts of suicide.