Cincinnati Reds Release Key Players in Hope of Reviving the Team

The+Cincinnati+Reds+traded+all-star+outfielder+Jesse+Winker+to+the+Seattle+Mariners.+

AP

The Cincinnati Reds traded all-star outfielder Jesse Winker to the Seattle Mariners.

James Mulcahy, Sports Writer

Recently, the Cincinnati Reds have been releasing many of their star players, who have been on the team for many years. Some of these players include Jesse Winker, Sonny Gray, and Eugenio Suarez.

For Jesse Winker and third baseman Eugenio Suarez, their future is on the Mariners, a team based out of Seattle. For this trade, the Cincinnati Reds will receive right-handed pitcher Justin Dunn, outfielder Jake Fraley, 2019 second-round pick Brandon Williamson, and one player that has not been named yet but will be announced later.

In 2012, left fielder Jesse Winkers, out of Olympia High School in Orlando, Florida, was drafted by the Reds 49th overall in the first round. Jesse Winker spent most of his time playing on multiple minor league teams before joining the Cincinnati Reds but eventually was called up to the big leagues at the start of the 2017 season. Eugenio Suarez is also being traded with Jesse Winker.

Joining the Reds in 2014, Eugenio Suarez has been a key player for the Reds. Being a starting third baseman, he has contributed to the team so much in his time well spent there.

Finally, the Reds also gave the boot to pitcher Sonny Gray. He has been traded to the Minnesota Twins for 2021, first-round pick Chase Petty. In his first year playing for the Oakland A’s, he was named the American League Pitcher of the Year. Then, in 2017, he was sent to the New York Yankees before finally being sent to the Reds in January of 2019.

With the Reds having a few shaky seasons recently, it’s best for them to release their older players and bring in some fresh young players to give their team a bit more life. The Reds owner Bob Castellini hopes that these decisions will bring his team back up to the top where they belong.