Banned Books: Keeping Adolescents from Thinking for Themselves

Getty Images

Banned knowledge stolen from young minds

Cora Walters, Staff Writer

If someone were to ask what books you thought of when you heard banned books, which books come to mind? Books like “1984”, “Fahrenheit 451”, and “To Kill a Mockingbird” right? Would you believe me if I were to tell you books like “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” and “James and the Giant Peach” were also banned at one point. Book bans are being set in place because of parents wanting to shield their children from serious topics in the real world. Mrs. Elkins; the librarian of BCHS stated “I think it is every parent’s decision on what their child reads, but parents should not decide for other children what they read.” Usually, books that are challenged have offensive language or sexual themes, yet books containing these themes are becoming more prevalent to recent times and tension.

The American Library Association (ALA) happens to be in charge of which books are being banned from libraries. The ALA not only bans books from school libraries, but also public libraries and bookstores. The association is hiding mature content and information from adults and adolescents, but they are targeting school libraries more. Most books that are being banned have serious topics. For instance, Harper Lee’s “To Kill a Mockingbird” uses racist language and the book centers around a allegation of rape. The use of racist language is very inappropriate for anybody to use nowadays. Considering the fact that the book is set in the past, it makes sense for the author to use such language. Yes, the book has a very mature topic, but if you choose to read it you should be mature enough to handle the contents.

However, books aren’t just banned for serious topics. Lots of books have been banned for multiple unusual reasons. For example, E. B. White’s “Charlotte’s Web” was once challenged because talking animals are profane and unnatural. The bestselling book series Harry Potter was banned for reasons such as witchcraft, glorifying themes, and lack of respect. These themes were said to cause children to become confused and rebel against their guardians. The biggest reason Harry Potter was challenged and is still being challenged today is because of religious belief. There are roughly about 12 different religions in the United States. One religion will have different beliefs than another. Considering this, a book being banned for religious belief wouldn’t be fair to the people that aren’t religious. Another controversial matter that has an effect on book bans is democracy. Books such as “Animal Farm” and “Brave New World” have been challenged because they are said to include freedom of speech and expression. “1984” is the number one banned book in America because it has pro-communist themes. Communism is a very far-left belief. Communists believe in the absence of social classes, against private property, belief of social equality, and against democracy.

All of these books that the ALA are taking away from all of us have important messages for adolescents to learn and experience first-hand. Book banning for us students equal the denial of our First Amendment rights. Without reading the hardships of the past, how would we learn about how the world has evolved? With higher power taking these sources away from us proves that they don’t want us to see the different sides of what’s right and what’s wrong. They are taking away our opinion to choose what we believe in. This Association is keeping us from learning about these mature topics. They are taking away our right to think for ourselves.