Michigan State University Shooting

In the picture above is the Michigan State University sign.

In the picture above is the Michigan State University logo.

Kayla Brainard, Staff Writer

On February 14, 2023, three students were shot and killed while five more were injured at Michigan State University. Police responded to reports of shots fired on the East Lansing side of campus. The shooter was 43-year-old Anthony Dwayne McRae, police have confirmed that there was no motive for the shooting. McRae led police on an hours-long manhunt before dying from a self-inflicted gunshot wound as law enforcement approached him; he was found right off campus. Sources added that a firearm was recovered at the scene, and a second firearm was found in a backpack along with numerous magazines. The victims of the shooting were Arielle Anderson, Alexandria Verner, and Brian Fraser. Arielle Anderson, 19, was a junior studying to be a surgeon, she graduated from Grosse Point North High School in 2021. Arielle was a quiet girl whose main goal was to support others. Alexandria Verner, 20, was a junior studying Integrated Biology and Anthropology. “Alex was and is incredibly loved by everyone. She was a tremendous student, athlete, and leader and exemplified kindness every day of her life,” Clawson Public Schools Superintendent Billy Shellenbarger stated in an interview. Brian Fraser, 20, was studying to become a pediatrician. Brian was a fraternity president with leadership skills. The other students that were injured are in critical condition at a Lansing hospital. More details emerged Thursday about all five injured students, two of whom are Chinese exchange students. One is from Florida and another is reported to be a Hartland High School graduate north of Brighton. The MSU Police and Public Safety department on Thursday said it is trying to determine the motive behind suspected gunman Anthony McRae’s shooting spree. Thousands of mourners gathered Wednesday evening to honor the three students. Police have upgraded their security systems to where they can manually lock the doors if there is a threat. They also have installed more cameras around the campus.