Should High School Athletes Be Drug Tested?

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Sports doping, anabolic drugs, pills and capsules – shape of a male muscular upper body – symbol for medical drug abuse. Isolated vector illustration on black background.

Kennedy Kelly, Sports Statistics (girls)

Drugs are a very common product being used. Especially to a young audience, also known as high school students. Studies show up to 12% of seniors have used performance enhancement drugs. But athletes are often persuaded to do drugs to enhance their performance in whatever sport they play to be successful. Is this fair? Is it fair for other athletes that don’t take drugs to enhance their performance? Senior athlete, Isaiah Gibbs, expresses his answer by saying “I don’t think it is that big of a deal because we are just in high school.” Though, studies often show that if they use them in high school, they won’t stop and it will continue into college when it does matter. Another senior athlete, Max Hill, says, “High school student-athletes should get drug tested because every sport competes for state championships and it should be required by the state. Kids shouldn’t have free range to do that stuff because so many college athletes get kicked out of school because of failing a drug test. It also teaches kids that it’s okay and you won’t get into college if you do them.” At a public school in Kentucky, in 2015 almost 3,000 kids failed their drug test due to them using drugs. Using drugs at such a young age could cause multiple problems in the long run. Behaviors in individuals start to change and can affect your whole life. It can easily shorten your life span. It can also affect you physically, but not in a good way. In females, hair can grow on their face and also deepen their voices. In males, breast tissue can develop very fast. Acne can appear as soon as you use them. Performance enhancement drugs are not worth the risk to consume. It’s not fair for other athletes who don’t take them and don’t succeed. Do what everybody else should do and work to be successful. The long term effects aren’t worth the risk.