Why you should join Key Club

Key Club Officers

Key Club Officers

Hannah Edwards, Contributor

When I was a first-year high school student, and it was the first club day of the year, I looked at all the clubs wondering which one I should join and be a part of. Then I came across this club that helps around the community and donates to a bunch of places when they need it. This club was called Key Club. 

This club is a student-run organization, but you always need adult supervision on school property, so they have Advisors from Kiwanis (it’s like the adult version of Key Club). One of the advisors is Ms. Edwards while the second one is Mrs. Pat. For the most part, people don’t know what Key Club is and how it came to be here at BCHS, This is what Mrs. Pat said about it, “Key Club is a student-led, high school organization. Our members make the world a better place through service. In doing so, we grow as individuals and as leaders by answering the call to lead, summoning the courage to engage and developing the heart to serve. For how we got it here in BCHS, the Kiwanis Club of Paris actually recharted BCHS in the year 2014.” 

Before I joined this club, I always thought of how boring it would be doing things over and over again, but according to this year’s President, Chloe Todd, she said, “it never gets boring to me, we do so much and have different opportunities.” Another response to the question is from Ms. Edwards, “No, the good that we do and the gratitude people have kept it from being ‘boring’.” It seems to not be so boring because you are always doing new things and helping the community.

Here are some of the things Key Club does while out in the community; feeding the homeless, Wyatt’s Wagon, the Food Fight, and plenty of other things. Those are just their main Enthesis projects. For Fundraising, they sell the Old Kentucky Chocolate Bars, Suckers, Roadhouse peanuts, and pots of flowers. They also pick up trash on backroads and work at The Rock and Dairy Queen.  Now even though they do all these community services and fundraising, they also take time to relax. “Typically when we get some new members, we have a little get together to kind of get to know each other and we also do other fun things like District Convention, Fall Rally, and International Convention,” Chloe said about the question.

Along with the big topic of community service, I asked Mrs. Pat one of the advisors and a former member and lasts year’s President, Kassandra Benitez, about why it’s so important on important documents. Mrs. Pat response was, “When applying to a college, a lot of emphases is now focused on community service. Key Club is the largest high school organization in the world and is recognized by every single college. When you can show how many hours and what events you help with, it shows the college that you put community service to the forefront.” Kassandra’s response was very similar, but added, “ having community services hours and experience shows the devotion you have for your community. It also shows that you are a well-rounded member of your community.”

To end this article, I asked four people from Key Club what they would say to people if they were thinking of joining this club. Chloe said, “join if you can! It’s a good opportunity to make friends and get community service hours, which look great for colleges.” Ms. Rocky said, “it is a wonderful club and helps students provide services to their community. It helps them grow into young productive adults.” Brayden said, “ Key Club is a really fun thing to join, you get to do a lot of stuff and it is just really fun.” Lastly, Kassandra said, “If you join a community service organization, you must have integrity and carry out all tasks and responsibilities that you take upon yourself. Show love, devotion, and compassion in every way while serving.”